This page provides up to date status information about how easy and affordable it is to run our Knight Foundation-funded open source Facebook community platform ... and our roadmap to make it even easier and more affordable in the coming months.
What's the current status?
Source code: Free at Github
- Virtual Linux Server $45 monthly (see Rackspace 1 GB Cloud account) Requires system administrator familiar with Linux and Ruby on Rails. Easy install now available.
- Dedicated Linux Server - $127/mo. with annual prepay at John Companies. Requires system administrator familiar with Linux and Ruby on Rails. Easy install now available. General install script for Ubuntu 10.04 is also available.
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) Cloud $261/month or less if you purchase a reserved instance for 1 year ($910) or 3 years ($1400). Requires advanced system administration skillset and expertise in Amazon AWS. We currently require a Large 64-bit Server Instance.
- NewsCloud Managed Hosting. $350/mo. and upwards depending on the size of your community. Includes technical support. Contact us for details.
Technical support options:
- Managed support plans available - contact us
- You'll need a domain name e.g. theneedle.us. If you don't have one, you can register one at MyDomain
- You'll need to register a Facebook Connect Application
What's planned in the future?
- Support for the Small 32 bit Server Instance in the Amazon AWS Cloud
- Support for the Heroku cloud
- Simplified installation and setup process
- Improved content automation for populating your site
- Easier theme customization and skins